Thursday, December 13, 2007

#6 - Cigarettes and Gasoline


#6:
Artist: Emerson Hart
Album: Cigarettes and Gasoline
Released: July 2007

Hailing from the mainstream market at number six is the first solo project from Emerson Hart, Cigarettes and Gasoline. Previously lead vocalist of the band Tonic, Emerson has, in my opinion, created an album far superior to anything the band was ever able to produce as a whole. Though I normally place far more emphasis on the lyrical aspect of songwriting, and Emerson is certainly a talented lyricist, what sticks out most from almost every song is that they are quite simply enjoyable to listen to on a musical and vocal level. The songs are catchy but not cheesy; they’re memorable. Cigarettes and Gasoline features a track list with a wonderful balance between upbeat and slower songs, from the contemplation of “Cigarettes and Gasoline:” “Holding in and letting go / Freezing hands and coffee burns / Steering straight in a heavy tide / All these things I've learned” to the insightful sorrow of “I Wish the Best for You:” “The words once they're spoken / Are words that we can't take / Back to where we were, before / Things got in the way / Life gets so confusing / When you know what you're losing.” I bought the album on iTunes on a whim, without recommendation or review, and every time I listen I am glad that I took the chance.