The Nature of Change
One year ago I began to write a story on this blog. Many of you reading will remember. It was story about a man who had reached the edge of despair and decided to cross it. And of course, it was a story about myself. I bring this to mind not to commemorate the event by any means. Quite the contrary, I have spent most of this past year battling to overcome those memories. I bring it to mind though, now willingly, to reflect on the life-changing power of the grace of God.
I do not intend to ramble about the universality and inescapability of change. This has been done before. Yes, everything changes, but not everything changes for good. When we are talking about change enacted by the work of God, however, everything does change for good. This is not always the kind of good that we can immediately or directly see, and it is not always what we would define as good (a problem with our definition, not with God!), but in the flawless plans of the sovereign God, the change He brings about in the lives of His children, those whom He has called, is always for good.
My primary focus lately, however, has been on the amazing effects of change. If you know me or have read my blog before, you probably know that I struggle with becoming discouraged. This is not a secret. This being so, however, means that I do not often see and give glory to God for the incredible change that has taken place, and is taking place now, in my life. More than I see the grace of God at work, I see the parts of me that have not changed. I choose more often to direct my gaze to my own weakness and inability to change instead of looking to the strength of the Savior and the free gift of grace which empowers me to change, and to that great deal which has already been accomplished by it. Oh that I would never lose sight of that first great change, enacted by the sacrifice of Christ, which changed my death into life and imparted to me the perfect righteousness of the Son, that I might become reconciled into a new relationship with the Father!
I want to be filled with gratitude for the difference between the person I was one year ago and the person I am today. I have far yet to go, but far I have come. I thank God that I can boast about the Gospel by which alone this has taken place. Without losing sight of the road ahead of change yet ahead of me, and without becoming comfortable with my current level of godliness, I can still look back and see that the way I am attempting daily to live my life now was not even within my realm of comprehension such a very short time ago.
Paul writes that “we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit” (II Cor. 3:18). I find this a beautiful summation of the way change occurs in the lives of Christians. We behold the glory of God, and doing so we are transformed into the glory of God. Ah, I say, but knowing myself and knowing my sin, I know that I cannot possibly be the full glory of God right now. What great hope is then offered, that this change takes place from one degree to the next, bit by bit, day by day. And what is more, neither you nor I can cause this to happen. God not only begins this work at justification, but continues it through sanctification. He does not leave us to ourselves after saving us; this transforming “comes from the Lord.”
I long for and greatly anticipate the day that will come when indeed this transformation is complete. But until that glorious time should come, I seek to pursue change by “beholding the glory of God.” I behold the glory of God at the cross. I behold the glory of God in the change He has brought about in my life. I behold the glory of God in change I recognize in others. I behold the glory of God as He reveals Himself to me in His Word. As I behold, I am motivated to change, to move on from this degree of glory to the next. And with the desire to change comes the grace empowering me to change, not of me but of God who withholds nothing good.


<< Home