Tuesday, January 16, 2007

On A Night Like This...

On a night like this, I could fall in love.

It doesn’t take much to send my mind running. As I drove home tonight listening to this most excellent song by Dave Barnes, I thought to myself of how drastically my perspective on God, life, and everything else changes from day to day.

Tonight, I am in love with God, and I let my mind wander over all the great things I want to do to pursue godliness and glorify God. Tonight, I want to change. Tonight, there is nothing more exciting than the future and the possibilities it holds.

Tomorrow my vision may show me something different. Tomorrow, I see only my present circumstances, my current shortcomings, and my ongoing sins. Tomorrow, I am just a man who has fallen time and time again, and tomorrow I have no hope for ever being the person I want to be, the person God wants me to be.

Tonight, I want to stay. Tomorrow, I want to go.
Tonight, I am loud. Tomorrow, I withdraw
Tonight, I shine. Tomorrow, I am subdued.

What makes tonight so different from tomorrow, though? My standing before God has not changed: righteous. My promises from God have not changed: everlasting. My source of strength for every day has not changed: Jesus Christ.

Oh God, would that my heart would be turned ever toward You; that my soul would yearn for You both day and night, today and tomorrow. Let me be steadfast, solid, stable.

I long for continuity, and I find it not in me but in my God who does not cease to pour out His grace on me, and who does not pull His love from me.

Just thought I’d throw these thoughts out there. I know I haven’t said much. My thoughts are scattered tonight, but maybe there’s something dwelling in that mess. I’ll try to update in the next few days with what’s been going on in my life over the past week.