An Explanation on Marriage
In my previous post about homosexuality, I said:
“Remember that God perfectly designed for man to be with a woman. Unless otherwise made very clear by God, God’s plan for every man is to be married to a woman, and every woman to a man.”
Stephen commented:
“Paul said that it was better for us not to be married and remain single as he did. But it is better to be married than to burn with passion. Marriage (man and woman) has its place. But so does celibacy. And those are the two biblical and valid options.”
Cameron commented:
“I don't believe it's God's plan for everyone (unless clearly shown by God) to be married. I Corinthians 7:1-9 is where Paul addresses the issue of marriage and sex within the bounds of marriage. Verse 7 states that Paul wishes more people were like him, single. Without the concerns of a spouse or family, people might be more inclined to devote themselves to full-time ministry. But Paul recognizes God's gift of marriage and it's usefulness as well as God's gift of singleness. Verse 8 states that it's good to be single, but if your passions get out of control, it is good to be married so they can be contained within the confines of marriage. Sexual passion isn't the only reason, or the best, to get married, but in this verse we see that it can be a sufficient reason for it.”
The passage they both referenced, 1 Corinthians 7, says of marriage:
“Now concerning the things about which you wrote, it is good for a man not to touch a woman. But because of immoralities, each man is to have his own wife, and each woman is to have her own husband.”
“Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that. But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.”
Before anything else, let me say that I agree. I apologize for any confusion caused by my statement about marriage, and I accept and appreciate the correction. In context with the rest of my previous post, the thought that I was trying to convey was that I believe it is important for Christians who struggle with homosexuality to understand that God still wants them to consider marriage. A more accurate portrayal of my thoughts should have read: “Regardless of present sexual attraction, every Christian should prayerfully consider marriage. No Christian should ever let sin become a roadblock to, or an escape from, God’s individual plan for his or her life.” I absolutely believe that singleness is God’s gift to many people and I know that much can be accomplished through singleness. My point is that struggling with homosexuality does not by default mean one must remain single.


<< Home